This award recognizes outstanding multimedia storytelling that uses video, audio slideshows, and interactive graphics, virtual reality (VR) or journalistic documentary.
The submitted piece(s) of work must have:
Appeared in a North American (US and Canadian) news outlet between January 1, 2017, and December 31, 2017. Work published in a South Asian publication is not eligible for entry
- Covered or focused on an issue affecting one or more South Asian countries or the South Asian worldwide diaspora.
- Been produced by a journalist of South Asian origin based anywhere in the world but reporting for a North American outlet, OR a journalist of non-South Asian origin based anywhere in the world who has reported in or about South Asia for a North American outlet.
- Awards are open to all US and Canadian media: national newspapers/TV channels, local/regional newspapers/TV channels, news and features websites, and other online platforms that do not include personal blogs.
- Freelancers and journalists employed by newsrooms are eligible to apply by submitting a story published in a North American publication.
- Individuals may submit entries or organizations may enter the contest on behalf of their journalist.
- Multiple entries may be made. However, the same entry cannot be submitted in different categories.
- Former SAJA board members are eligible to apply but they must not have served on the board since past two years.
Note: The countries that we consider as part of "South Asia" are India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Maldives, Bhutan and Afghanistan.